The Bishop of Leeds, the Rt Rev Nick Baines will be leading our Easter celebrations, presiding and preaching at the Festal Eucharist on Easter morning, while the Bishop of Wakefield, the Rt Rev Tony Robinson, will be leading the Easter vigil on the evening of Holy Saturday. Places will have to be booked for the 10.30am service on Sunday, as numbers in the cathedral still need to be limited.
Palm Sunday will see the return of the full schedule of services, which are detailed below and for the first time since early January the 10.30am Sunday Eucharist will actually take place in the cathedral and will be sung by three lay clerks, as permitted by the present regulations. As expected that day there will be the blessing and distribution of palm crosses. Our preacher that morning and throughout Holy Week will be Canon Flora Winfield, the Archbishop of Canterbury’s Special Representative to the Commonwealth.
Streamed services can be accessed via the front page of this website or at Ripon Cathedral – YouTube
Bookings for the 10.30am Festal Eucharist on Easter Day can be made from Monday, March 22, on this website or by ringing the cathedral office on 01765 603462.
Holy Week and Easter:
- Palm Sunday
- 8am Holy Communion (BCP) with the blessing and distribution of palms.
- 9.30am Morning Prayer.
- 10.30am Sung Eucharist with the blessing and distribution of palms, sung by the lay clerks of Ripon Cathedral Choir and live streamed.
- 12.30pm Holy Communion (BCP).
- 3.30pm Evening Prayer.
- Our opening hours remain from 10am-4pm and we will re-open at 7pm Monday to Thursday for evening services beginning at 7.30pm.
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday – 10am Morning Prayer, 12 noon Holy Communion, 3,30pm Evening Prayer and at 7.30pm Compline – which will be sung by the lay clerks and live streamed.
- Maundy Thursday – 10am Morning Prayer, 12 noon Holy Communion, 3,30pm Evening Prayer, 7.30pm Holy Communion of The Last Supper sung by the lay clerks of the cathedral choir and live streamed; this will be followed by Stripping of the Altars and vigil until midnight.
- Good Friday
- 10am morning prayer
- 12 noon–1pm Preaching of the Cross devotional service
- 1.30-3pm Good Friday Liturgy including Holy Communion, sung by the lay clerks of the cathedral choir and live streamed.
- 3.30pm Evening Prayer at the Pieta
- Holy Saturday – 10am Morning Prayer, 3.30pm Evening Prayer, 7.30pm Easter Vigil including the lighting of the Paschal Candle and first Eucharist of Easter with the Bishop of Wakefield, the Rt Rev Tony Robinson – sung by the lay clerks of the cathedral choir and live streamed.
- Easter Day – 8am Holy Communion (BCP), 9.30am Morning Prayer, 10.30am Festal Eucharist (click here for tickets) with the Bishop of Leeds, the Rt Rev Nick Baines, sung by the lay clerks of the cathedral choir and live streamed, 12.30pm Holy Communion, 3.30pm Festal Evensong sung by the lay clerks of the cathedral choir.
- Our flower arrangers will be making a cross of flowers, in remembrance of those we have lost
- The Easter Garden will be in place during Holy Week and Easter as a devotional and prayerful focus
- Opening hours return to 10am-4pm with services at 10am, 12pm and 3.30pm